Green beans & pancetta
Barely glistening with the fat from the pancetta, the seasoning is naturally infused by baking, requiring nothing more than the two ingredients for a deep, savoury flavor.
Type of Meal
Level of Difficulty
Serves 6 to 8 Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 1 hour
500g fresh green beans
6 to 8 slices pancetta, diced finely (can be substituted with bacon, but it will impart a smokier flavor to the dish)
- In boiling water, blanch the beans for 30 to 45 seconds. Plunge in ice bath to cool immediately.
- Cook the diced pancetta until slightly crispy, but not too hard. Reserve the fat.
- Gently fold the beans, bacon and desired amount of fat together in a baking dish, getting a thin, even sheen on the beans.
- Be careful to not break the beans. (note: control the amount of fat on the beans by using just half the fat and adding more if needed)
- Bake the beans, covered at 175°C oven until tender for about 1 hour.