Fluffy japanese cheesecake with mango yoghurt
Prep time 20 minutes
Bake time 40 minutes
butter, to grease cake tin
400g cream cheese (at room temperature)
½ cup full cream milk
1 cup fine sugar
6 eggs, separated
½ cup cornstarch
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cream of tartar
5 cups boiling water
2 tbsp apricot or strawberry jam
1 cup mango yoghurt
2 cups fresh mango, peeled and cut into big cubes
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Grease a 15-inch cake tin with butter.
- Beat cream cheese and milk together until soft.
- Add ½ cup fine sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch and lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until foamy.
- Add remaining ½ cup fine sugar and cream of tartar. Beat on high speed until soft peaks form, about 6 minutes.
- Gradually fold beaten egg whites into the cream cheese mixture, stirring gently.
- Pour into cake tin and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Place cake tin into a large roasting pan on the lower rack of the oven.
- Pour boiling water into the roasting pan till it reaches half the height of the cake tin.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes at 200°C, or until a pick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Combine all ingredients for topping then spread on top of the cake.