The earthiness of the mushrooms combined with abundant truffle essence and cream or brie makes this a hearty yet remarkably delicate appetiser.
Serves 8 Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
8 small portobello (or large brown crimini) mushroom caps, stems removed and wiped clean with a damp towel.
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp truffle oil
3 tbsp truffle salt
80g jar Tetsuya Black Truffle Salsa (available at Culina)
1 cup thick double cream or soft
16-20 shavings black truffles
• Place mushrooms bottom up on a baking sheet and gently rub the insides with olive oil and a little truffle oil.
• Sprinkle mushrooms with truffle salt.
• Spread a small spoonful of salsa inside the caps.
• Warm the mushrooms in a 170°C oven until soft and lightly cooked throughout, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
• Fill the remaining portion of the caps’ indentation with double cream or brie and heat just long enough to heat the cream or melt the cheese, about 3 minutes.
• Remove and garnish with 2 shavings of black truffle in centre of each cap. Serve immediately.