Steamed white belly fish with salted vegetables and chilli-garlic-soya sauce
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes
75g red shallots, finely diced
150g cherry tomatoes, cleaned and halved
6 salted plums, deseeded and finely puréed
½ cup rose wine
½ cup water
pinch salt and pepper
2 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and cut into 1cm strips
5 white belly fish (pek tor he) fillets
½ cup salted vegetables, washed and soaked in water for ½ hour
100g pickled bamboo shoots
80g salted vegetables, chopped
5 white-red radishes, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 red chillis, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tsp salted beans (tau cheo), smashed
- To make the tomato-plum jam, heat up a pan with oil and fry the shallots until softened.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients for the jam and fry on low heat until the liquid is almost dry. Use a hand blender and purée the mixture.
- Layer the tomato strips on a large plate. Place the fish on top and cover with the salted vegetables, tomato jam and garnishes.
- Bring water to boil in a wok then place the plate with the fish inside the wok to steam.
- Steam covered for 4-7 minutes or until cooked (test by poking a chopstick in the fish—the flesh should have turned white).
- Mix ingredients for the chilli-garlic-soya sauce and set aside for dipping.