Khao soi with chicken and vegetables
Wine: 2011 Xanadu Exmoor Drive Chardonnay, Margaret River, Australia
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
2tbsp olive oil
4 medium red onions, finely chopped
1½ inch ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
6-7 garlic cloves, smashed
65g fresh turmeric, roughly chopped
pinch chilli powder
500g fresh boneless chicken breast, cut to bite size
3 cups Xanadu Exmoor Drive Chardonnay or other full bodied white wine
3 cups chicken stock
salt to taste
½ cup coconut cream milk
3 cups instant noodles, blanched
½ cup chopped spring onions
½ cup sliced onions, fried till crispy
½ cup coriander, chopped
½ cup green chillies, chopped
½ cup garlic flakes, fried
1 hard-boiled egg, diced to small bits
4 tbsp roasted salted peanuts
2 tbsp soya sauce
2 green limes, cut into quarters
chilli padi (optional)
- Heat up 2tbsp olive oil in a pot and fry the red onions till lightly brown and softened. Add the ginger, smashed garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Add fresh turmeric and chilli powder and continue frying until the mixture turns light brown. Add chicken and fry for another 2 minutes over low heat.
- Deglaze with 3 cups of white wine and allow it simmer for half a minute. Add chicken stock and let it simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Thicken the soup with coconut milk.
- Combine all the garnish ingredients in a big bowl and toss well.
- Divide the noodles into four portions and add soup gravy.
- Top with shredded chicken meat and garnish mixture.
- Squeeze the green lime over it just before eating. For a spicier version, add in a couple of chilli padi into the soup.