Bamboo clams ‘panggang’ with sambal belachan, eggplant chincalok ‘salsa’ and anchovies
Prep time 1 hour 20 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
4 large bamboo clams (140g each)
- Soak bamboo clams in clean water for an hour. Set aside.
3 red chillies, finely blended
8 shallots, finely blended
30g belachan, toasted and mashed
20g fine sugar
salt, to taste
- Mix all the ingredients, heat oil in a pan, and sauté ingredients till fragrant and red oil is released from the mixture.
eggplant chincalok ‘salsa’
50g eggplant, finely diced
50g onions, finely diced
30g fine sugar
1 kalamansi (juice only)
- Heat up a pot of water and blanch the eggplant for 30 seconds. Mix all the ingredients with the eggplant and place it in the refrigerator for an hour.
red chilli, finely sliced
- Grill bamboo clams till their shells open, and add 1tablespoon of sambal belachan to each bamboo clam. Grill them for another 5 minutes.
- Arrange the clams on a plate, top them with eggplant chincalok ‘salsa’ and sprinkle crispy anchovies over them. Garnish with sliced chilli.