Chả cá (pan-fried turmeric fish)
Serves 4 Prep time 40 minutes + 1 hour marinating time
Cook time 20 minutes
950g white fish fillets, traditionally catfish or sea bream
1 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp galangal or ginger powder
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp minced shallots
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
handful fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- Slice fish into large chunks and set aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except vegetable oil, white onion and fresh dill. Mix well. Pour over fish chunks and marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- Heat up a heavy bottomed pan with vegetable oil over medium heat. When hot, pan-fry marinated fish till crisp and golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add vegetable oil and sauté white onion until softened. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve fish on the bed of onions and top generously with fresh dill.
anchovy dipping sauce
2/3 cup lime juice (from approximately 3-4 limes)
2 tbsp fine sugar
½ cup water
55g ready-to-use dried Vietnamese anchovies
1 tsp minced garlic
- Place all the ingredients for anchovy dipping sauce into a shallow saucepan and bring to a boil. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until sauce is thickened and reduced. Adjust seasonings to preferred taste.
- Serve with pan-fried fish on the side.