Sopaipillas (fried pumpkin bread)
Serves 4-5 Prep time 3 hour
Cook time 20 minutes
1kg plain flour
20g pork fat, lardo or duck fat
vegetable oil, for frying
- Cut pumpkin into chunks and cook in boiling water or in an oven at 150°C.
- Once cooked, purée pumpkin with a hand blender or food processor.
- Mix puréed pumpkin with flour, salt and fat in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix yeast and water, then add into the flour mixture. Knead until all ingredients are well incorporated. The dough has to be soft but not sticky. Add more water or flour if needed, as the amount of moisture in each pumpkin varies. Leave dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 0.5cm thick and 7cm wide circles. Fry in vegetable oil for 2 minutes on each side.
400g gula melaka (to replace chancaca)
1 stick cinnamon
1 slice lemon skin
1 slice orange skin
juice of 2 lemons
semi-whipped cream (no sugar)
- Mix all ingredients except semi-whipped cream in a pan, then boil into a syrup.
- Add sopaipillas and let them soak in the syrup for 5 minutes. Serve warm with a dollop of semi-whipped cream.