Green pea and potato gnocchi with crab meat and saffron emulsion
Serves 4 Prep time 40 minutes
Cook time 1 hour
400-500g Idaho potatoes
20ml extra virgin olive oil
1 small shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
300g frozen green peas (reserve a few for garnish)
20g fresh basil leaves, chopped (reserve a few for garnish)
300g plain flour
1 large egg
200g crab meat
30ml white wine
3 tbsp lobster bisque (optional)
pinch saffron threads
30g cold unsalted butter
20g Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes in salted water till soft, about 45 minutes. Drain and when cool, mash finely. Set aside.
- Place olive oil over low heat and sweat the shallot and one garlic clove. Add green peas and basil and cook until soft. Blend the peas into a fine purée and add the mashed potatoes. Mix well and season to taste.
- Sweat another clove of garlic in a separate pan and add the crab meat. Season to taste and add basil and boiled peas for garnish.
- Bring the white wine and lobster bisque (optional) to a boil with saffron threads. Add cold butter and blend to an emulsion with a hand blender. Set aside.
- Add the flour and egg to the mashed potatoes and pea purée, mixing until the dough binds together. Dust generously with flour and roll the mixture out evenly. Cut into 1cm thick strips, then cut each strip into 2cm long pieces. Using the blunt end of a grater, roll each cut piece across the grids lightly to create a ridged dumpling.
- Boil the gnocchi in salted water. When they start to float, strain and toss in crab sauce before plating. Pour the saffron emulsion over and serve.