Tempura of white asparagus with sea urchin mayonnaise
Serves 4 Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 5 minutes
sea urchin mayonnaise
100g sea urchin flesh
4 tbsp mayonnaise
5ml layu oil (chilli oil)
¾ cup extra cold water, placed in freezer for 20–30 minutes
1 cup tempura flour, reserve 20g for coating
¼ tsp fleur de sel or sea salt
2 ice cubes
1 litre oil for deep frying
500g white asparagus, peeled
• Blend sea urchin flesh, mayonnaise, wasabi and layu oil in a food processor. Remove and set aside in a refrigerator.
• To make batter, use chopsticks to combine the egg, cold water, tempura flour and salt in a bowl. Add ice cubes.
• Heat pot of oil or deep fryer to 180ºC.
• Thinly coat the asparagus with reserved tempura flour. Dip each piece into the batter, then deep fry until crispy.
• Serve immediately with sea urchin mayonnaise
Chef Tabarec says: “A very simple nibble pairing two prime ingredients—sea urchin and white asparagus.”