Yeonjajuk (lotus seed porridge)
Serves 4 Prep time 2 hours + 15 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
1 cup short grain glutinous rice
¼ cup lotus seeds
¼ cup fresh pine nuts, top stems removed
4 cups water
1 tsp salt
¾ tsp sugar
pine nuts to garnish
• Soak glutinous rice and peeled lotus seeds in separate bowls of water for 2 hours.
• Drain rice and grind in blender until smooth, about 30 seconds.
• Strain the ground rice into a heavy pan to catch any lumps, then add 3 cups water and bring slowly to a boil, stirring frequently to avoid lumps, until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
• Drain water from lotus seeds and grind in blender with ½ cup water until smooth, about 1 minute.
• Grind pine nuts in ¼ cup water until smooth, about ½ minute.
• When rice has thickened and is about to bubble, add the ground lotus seed mixture to the rice and bring back to light boil. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Add the ground pine nut mixture, bring to boil again and cook for 2 more minutes.
• Soup is cooked when it reaches a smooth, creamy consistency. At this point, add the salt and sugar, mix gently until incorporated. Serve immediately.
• To garnish, rest 4 whole pine nuts in a flower shape in the centre of each bowl.