Bak kwa fried rice
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
8 medium-sized tiger prawns
1 tsp sugar
pinch white pepper
2 tsp rice wine
4 tbsp cooking oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup corn kernels
2 cups rice, cooked
2 eggs, beaten
2 slices barbecued pork (bak kwa), cut into 1cm squares
½ cube chicken stock
ground rock salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
⅛ cup spring onions, chopped
sprigs Chinese parsley
- Peel, devein, then cut prawns into 4 pieces per prawn. Marinate prawns in table salt, sugar, white pepper and rice wine. Set aside for half an hour.
- Add 4 tbsp oil into wok on high heat.
- Add garlic when oil is hot and sizzling, then immediately reduce heat to medium. Fry till garlic turns light brown.
- Add corn kernels and marinated prawns. Stir till prawns turn pink.
- Add rice and mix well for 1 minute, then turn to low heat.
- Slowly add eggs, stirring rice as you add to make sure all grains are coated. Increase temperature to high heat.
- Add bak kwa, stir, then immediately add in chicken stock, salt and black pepper and mix evenly.
- Stir in spring onions, then remove wok from fire.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with a sprig of Chinese parsley.