Fideua negra (squid ink noodles)
Serves 4 Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
1 Roma tomato
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp pimentón (Spanish paprika, from Bilbao Restaurant & Gastrobar)
1 squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
6 prawns, peeled and deveined
1 litre fish broth
200g fideos (Spanish vermicelli, from Bilbao Restaurant & Gastrobar)
4 sachets squid ink (approximately 16g, from Toque at ToTT Store)
salt and pepper, to taste
4 prawns, shell and tails on
1 tsp sea salt
4 lemon wedges
2 tbsp aioli
• To make the sofrito, pour boiling water over the tomato and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain, peel and cut tomato into small pieces.
• Heat up olive oil in a paella pan and fry onion and garlic for at least 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and pimentón. Cook for another 5–10 minutes on low heat.
• Increase heat to medium and add squid and prawns. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the fish broth. When it starts to boil, add in the fideos and cook for another 5 minutes.
• Add 3 sachets of squid ink and cook over medium heat until the broth reduces to a thick stock,
then add the last bag of ink. Season to taste.
• Bake in a preheated oven at 260°C until the top is slightly crusty, about 10 minutes. During this time, sauté the 4 unshelled prawns with some olive oil and sea salt till pink.
• Remove the fideua from the oven and top with the 4 prawns and lemon wedges. Serve immediately with aioli on the side.