Galbi (charcoal grilled beef short rib)
Serves 4 Prep time 24 hrs (marinade) +30 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
200g soy sauce
1 litre water
20g cooking wine
30g crushed garlic
white pepper to taste
1kg boneless beef short ribs, cut into 4
equal portions, about 2cm thick
4 fresh shiitake mushroom caps
4 green asparagus, peeled
8 baby carrots, peeled
• Purée the fruits and garlic, then mix with all the other marinade ingredients.
• Make shallow cuts of 1cm apart on the surface of each slice of the meat and fully submerge in the marinade. Marinate for at least 24 hours.
• Bake mushrooms facing up in a medium oven for 20 minutes until tender and slightly browned.
• Blanch asparagus until barely tender and plunge into an ice bath to stop cooking and retain colour.
• Steam the baby carrots until medium tender. Set aside.
• Remove beef from marinade and simmer liquid until fully cooked. Strain and reserve thin liquid as jus for the beef.
• Grill beef, preferably over charcoal, turning once, until medium rare (about 2 minutes per side). Rest beef for 3 minutes.
• Grill asparagus and carrots until tender but not mushy, turning to capture light grill marks. Cut asparagus in half, sprinkle vegetables with touch of salt to taste.
• Serve beef with the grilled vegetables. Garnish with shiitake cap on top and a thin streak of jus beside it.