Red hot chilli dumplings with bamboo shoots
Even though the dumplings are literally red hot and fiery to the bite, it’s hard to stop at one.
BURN FACTOR: 3.5/5
Serves 4 Prep time 40 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes
red chilli oil paste
½ cup rice wine
3 tbsp tomato paste
200g fresh chilli padi, deseeded
300g hot chilli pepper, finely blended
100g red chilli, deseeded
• Combine everything in a blender and purée until fine. Set aside.
800g minced pork
pinch black pepper powder
pinch white pepper powder
2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp hua diao wine or sherry
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 inch grated ginger
4 tbsp coriander leaf and root, finely chopped
1 tbsp don cai (preserved vegetables), finely chopped
2 tbsp Chinese chives, finely chopped (optional)
3 tbsp Chinese cabbage, finely chopped
2 tbsp shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
• Combine all the meat filling ingredients in a bowl and stir the mixture well till all ingredients are fully incorporated. Take note to stir the mixture in only one direction.
• Then, add in the vegetable base ingredients and incorporate. Set aside.
pinch sea salt
1 cup cold water
4 cups plain flour
200g canned bamboo shoots
• To make dumpling skin, combine salt, 1 tbsp of red chilli oil paste and water in a bowl. Add plain flour slowly and knead the dough until all the flour is used. Keep kneading for 20 minutes until the dough shines. Then, stop kneading and cover bowl with a damp cloth.
• Roll dough until 2cm thick and cut to 1cm portions. Roll each portion into a ball and flatten with a rolling pin to form a round flat skin.
• Scoop one spoon of meat filling onto the flattened round skin and wrap like a dumpling.
• Bring a big pot of water to boil and put in the dumplings. Let the water boil again then add in a bowl of cold water. Wait for the water to boil again. Remove the dumplings and set aside.
• Heat up another pot, add in the rest of the red chilli oil paste and bamboo shoots and bring to a boil.
• Add in the cooked dumplings and cook for another 2 minutes before serving dumplings with bamboo shoots and red chilli oil paste on the side.