Scallops with chilli pepper oil
Prep time 40 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
300g bay scallops
200g tiger prawns
2 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup dry white wine
pinch sea salt
pinch freshly cracked black pepper
chilli pepper oil
4 tbsp olive oil
5 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1 red onion, sliced thinly
4 pimento peppers, chopped finely
1 tbsp dry hot pepper chilli, blended to rough bits
4 tsp rock salt
2 tsp fine sugar
- Place the scallops ands prawns into a big bowl and marinate with parsley, lemon juice, dry white wine, salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Heat up a non-stick pan with oil and fry the garlic and onions till fragrant.
- Add in the pimento peppers, chilli, salt and sugar and continue frying.
- Set the chilli pepper oil aside to cool. When cooled, pour over the marinated scallops and prawns .
- Heat up another grill pan to red hot and add the marinated chilli oil scallops and prawns. Cover with a lid.
- Lightly fry the scallops and prawns for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve hot or warm with some toast.
The best charred peppers are ones cooked over charcoals but you can achieve the same effect by burning them over a gas flame or dry roasting them in a hot oven. Letting them cool under a clingflim seal makes the skins easier to peel away.
Excerpt from the December 2012 issue of epicure.