Southern deviled eggs
Serves 18 deviled eggs
Cooking & prep time 40 minutes (to boil & cool eggs), 5 minutes to assemble
9 large eggs
1/3 cup good quality mayonnaise
1½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp apple-cider vinegar
2 tsp minced scallions (white stem only) or shallot
2 tsp fresh, tarragon, minced
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh ground white pepper, to taste
Ground paprika, for garnish to taste
Fresh tarragon, for garnish
Small tin black caviar
- In a heavy stock pot add eggs and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, then remove pan pot from heat an let eggs stand, covered, for 18 minutes. Drain eggs and run cold water over them until cool enough to handle. (This step can be done in advance)
- Peel eggs and cut in half, lengthwise. Transfer yolk to a mixing bowl and mash.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper, Mix together until smooth and fully incorporated. Transfer to a pastry bag (or a zip top plastic bag and snip one corner to desired diameter for piping).
- Arrange the eggwhite halves on serving platter and distribute the minced scallion/shallots and tarragon in the cavities. Pipe out the filling into each cavity, using decorative tip if desired.
- Dust the filling with paprika and add a whole tarragon leaf.
- Place a small dollop of caviar on top of the filling in the center of each egg. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.