Sabayon with bananas
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
4 egg yolks
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped and reserved
100g fine sugar
25ml Myer’s dark rum
30ml whipping cream
2 large bananas, thinly sliced icing sugar, for dusting
• In a large mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, vanilla, water and sugar. Set over a bain-marie on low heat (not more than 90°C) and whisk until mixture turns pale and creamy.
• Add rum to the egg mixture and whisk until light and airy, about 10-15 minutes.
• Whip cream and fold in gently to the egg mixture. Stir to achieve an even consistency.
• Pour sabayon into 4 ramekins till half full. Then top each with thinly sliced bananas and the remaining mixture.
• Sprinkle with icing sugar and gratin with a blow torch for 10-15 seconds till a caramelised top layer forms.