Pearl onions with cranberry
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
200g fresh white pearl onions, peeled and whole
100g fresh cranberries
80g brown sugar
2 cups white wine
4 tbsp sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
½ can cranberry jam
- Combine all ingredients except for the water and cranberry jam in a pot. Turn on high heat for 1-2 minutes to let the alcohol burn off
- Add in the water and simmer to a boil for approximately 20 minutes.
- Finally, add in the canned cranberry and simmer the mixture further for 3-5 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to full boiling point.
- Place your jar and cap for bottling in the water (pickling jars with seals and rubber rings on the interiors of their caps are available at ToTT Store)
- Let the water boil for 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Carefully remove the jar and cap with tongs, avoiding the inside of the bottle and cap (do not attempt to use a dry cloth to clean it)
- If you need it to dry quickly, you can use a hairdryer on high to blow it dry
- Add in your jam mixture, leaving a 1.5cm—2cm gap to the cap before capping the jar tightly.
- Reboil the pot of water, submerging the entire jam jar in the water.
- The moment the jar cap makes a ‘pop’ sound, remove the jar carefully, wipe it dry and leave it to cool.