Deep fried buttermilk crocodile cutlets
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes
2 cups buttermilk
300g crocodile meat chunk, slice against the grain to 3cm thickness
pinch rock salt
pinch black peppercorns
1tbsp plum salt
3tbsp minced ginger
1 cup corn flour, for panning
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
1 pot olive oil, for deep frying
1 bulb garlic, halved
2 cups olive oil
- In a pot, slow cooked the garlic for 20 to 30 mins until softened.
3 tbsp egg yolk mayonnaise
1 tbsp garlic confit
pinch salt and pepper
2 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 tsp whole grain brown mustard
- Pour buttermilk over crocodile meat and allow it to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Take the meat out of the buttermilk mix, and season with the marinade ingredients evenly over the meat.
- Lightly coat the meat with the corn flour and pat off the excess.
- Dredge the meat through lightly beaten egg and coat evenly with the fresh bread crumbs.
- Heat up a pot of olive oil to about 130 to140°C. The oil is hot enough when you drop a piece of onion in and there are small bubbles and a sizzling sound. Lightly fry the breaded crocodile cutlet until crispy and brown, about 3 to 5 mins.
- Quickly whisk the garlic aioli ingredients together until the mixture becomes a creamy emulsion.
- Serve the crocodile cutlet with garlic aioli.