Cornbread muffins with corn & basil
Serves 12 muffins Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra to powder the muffin tins)
¼ cup cornmeal
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
¼ tsp chilli powder
1¼ cups buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted (plus extra butter to coat the muffin tins)
1 cup fresh corn kernels (approximately 2 cobs of corn)
¼ cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
80g salted butter of goat cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and chilli powder.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, mixing to form an even batter with no lumps.
- Add the fresh corn and basil and fold to distribute evenly throughout the batter.
- Coat the muffin tins first with butter then a light sprinkling of flour. Pour in batter to nearly the top of each muffin tin (use a cup scoop for equal measurements).
- Bake muffins for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden on top. Prick a muffin with a toothpick to ensure insides are done (toothpick should come out dry). Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes before removing them from tins. Then, if desired, smear a little salted butter or goat cheese on the top point of muffin (optional) and serve.