Barramundi carpaccio with cucumbers
Prep time 2 hours +12 hours chilling
Cook time 1 hour 45 minutes
42g trimoline (available from Modernist Pantry)
113g caster sugar
410ml cucumber juice
50g lemon juice
- In a Thermomix, bring water and trimoline to 50°C, then add sugar and pectin. Bring mixture to 100°C.
- Add cucumber and lemon juices, then blend for 1 minute at full speed.
- Strain and freeze in a Pacojet container.
200g fresh chives
25g Ultra-Tex 4
- Cook chives in rapidly boiling water for 5 minutes, then refresh in ice water.
- Blend chives with enough blanching liquid to cover the leaves, until smooth.
- Bind mixture with Ultra-Tex 4, then strain into a piping bag.
500g rock salt
250g egg whites
1kg all-purpose flour
- Blend salt to finer pieces.
- Using a KitchenAid, mix salt, egg whites and flour to form a dough.
- Cover beetroot with dough and bake at 180°C for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Crack hardened dough and peel off beetroot skin, then portion beetroot to your desired shape and size.
10g sea salt
10g fine salt
10g caster sugar
zest of 1 orange, 1 lime and 1 lemon
350g barramundi chunks, skin removed and diced to 3cm cubes (available from Kühlbarra)
10g carbon bamboo powder (available from Phoon Huat)
10g activa (meat glue, available from Modernist Pantry)
- Mix sea salt, fine salt, sugar and zest. Marinate barramundi with mixture, then leave in the chiller for 12 hours.
- Rinse off salt mixture from barramundi.
- Mix carbon bamboo powder, activa and barramundi, then roll into a roulade with cling wrap and freeze.
- Slice barramundi to your desired size and shape.