Kaiserschmarrn with californian sultanas
Serves 4 Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 35 minutes
1 litre fresh milk
100g vanilla sugar
150g Californian raisins, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes and drained
• Pour the milk in a large bowl, add the flour and the vanilla sugar and whisk everything together to a smooth liquid. Let it rest for 30 minutes and strain the contents through a fine sieve.
• Fold in all the eggs: don’t whisk them in, only mix with the liquid.
• Heat up a non-stick pan and fill half the pan with the above mixture. Pan-fry until the mixture fluffs up. Then add half portion of the raisins.
• Bake the pan in the oven at 190°C for about 20 minutes.
• Remove pan from oven. Add the rest of the raisins into the pan and flip the dough over to bake on the other side for another 15 minutes in the oven at 190ºC.
• Remove pan from the oven and break the pancake into small pieces with two forks.
• Add some icing sugar and vanilla sugar, put the pan back on the stove and caramelise the dough pieces with the sugar.
• Place the kaiserschmarrn on a flat plate and cover with icing sugar. This dish can be served with any ice-cream or homemade jams such as apricots, plums, apples or cherries. Or deglaze with a splash of amaretto or Grand Marnier liqueur.