Poached beer marinated prawns with rock salt
You can serve the prawns raw or poached. Bottomline: there is no substitute ingredient for fresh, live prawns for this recipe. The shells should be pink in colour with the prawn heads still intact.
Serves 4-6 people
Prep time 10 minutes
35g ginger slices
350g live Tiger prawns, poached
1 can dark beer
1 tsp rock salt
1 tsp brown sugar
4 tbsp floral beer
2 tbsp cider vinegar
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chopped shallots
pinch salt, sugar and freshly cracked
50g fennel bulb
50g lightly ripened mango
50g ripe tomatoes, sliced into strips or cubes
1 tbsp sumac powder
100g baby mesclun mix or spinach
• To make ginger juice: blend ginger slices in 3 tbsp of water. Strain to get 2 tbsp of ginger juice. Set aside.
• Combine the poached prawns, beer, salt, and sugar together in a big bowl or jar with lid. Marinate the prawns for 2 minutes.
• Meanwhile, slice the fennel and mango to paper thin strips. Soak fennel and mango strips in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
• Toss the fennel, mango and tomato strips, sumac powder, mesclun mix and beer vinaigrette together.
• Serve the salad mix with marinated prawns.