Guinness-roasted Chicken Legs with Bubble & Squeak
This famed brew helps to tenderise the chicken and added an addictive flavour.
Down some stout while you are cooking!
Prep time 10 minutes +2 hours marinate
Cook time 40 minutes
6 cans Guinness stout
½ cup brown sugar
4 tbsp wild blossom honey
3 tbsp thick tamarind juice
1kg fresh whole chicken drumsticks
30g white onions, diced
40g sliced old ginger
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
pinch salt and pepper
1tbsp olive oil
bubble and squeak
7 tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup red onions, roughly chopped
5nos cooked or leftover potatoes, cut to bite size
3cup leftover vegetables like carrot, pea, Brussels sprouts or cabbage
pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Pour Guinness stout in a pot, simmer and boil. Light up with a match, and burn off the alcohol, then simmer for another 2 minutes.
• Add in the brown sugar, honey and tamarind juice, simmer for another 5 minutes. Cool down before mixing all the ingredients together, let it marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
• To make bubble and squeak: heat up a non-stick pan with butter, lightly fry the red onion till fragrant.
• Add in the potatoes and leftover vegetables, season to taste. Set aside.
• Heat up an oven at 165 °C. Lay the marinated chicken drumstick onto a non-stick tray, bake it for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked .
• Serve the cooked chicken drumstick with the bubble and squeak, and also the leftover sauce from the baking tray.