Makes about 20 pieces
Cook time 4 minutes
Prep time 30-45 minutes
40 slices Mozzarella cheese batons
20 slices pineapple, barbequed black pepper
small basil leaves
20 thin slices Parma ham
40 squid ink broiche
(from specialist bakeries)
gold leaf (from specialist bakeries)
• Place two thick bars of Mozzarella with one bar of barbequed pineapple together. Repeat this with remaining Mozzarella and pineapple.
• Season with black pepper. Put a large dot of sundried tomato puree and a few small leaves of basil. Wrap with a thin slice of Parma ham.
• Place on top of thinly sliced bread, with another slice on top and press with a rectangle mould to allow the bread to stick together forming a purse with the ingredients inside.
• Bake at 160ºC for four minutes until the bread is crispy and ingredients are hot.
• Garnish with a dot of onion marmalade and stick with gold leaf.
Cherkas says: “Hawaiian pizza is made from very basic ingredients. My idea is to adapt the the classic combination by using top quality products and presenting it in a new refreshing way. The fragrant basil and slightly acidic tomato sauce makes a different interpretation of the great classic.”