Deep-fried golden pearl stuffed with prawns and salted egg yolk
Makes 1 large pearl (4-6 wedges)
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
2 mid-sized prawns, approximately 30g, shelled
70g shrimps, shelled
30g squid, fish or prawn paste
1 piece cooked chicken liver
600g caul fat, available at wet markets
1 salted egg yolk (approximately 10g)
1 packet potato flour
- Remove shells and tails of prawns, butterfly cut them after rinsing with water and set aside for use.
- Chop shrimps and add to salted squid paste. Mix well and set aside.
- Blanch chicken liver in boiling water and slice into two pieces. Then, line a chopping board with caul fat.
- Place approximately 50g of mixed squid paste and 1 one prawn on the paste.
- Top with salted egg yolk and finish with the other prawn. Place one slice of chicken liver on each side and wrap the remaining mixed squid paste around it.
- Wrap the entire parcel into the shape of a ball with the caul fat. Trim away excess fat and dust evenly with a layer of potato flour.
- Heat cooking oil into a deep-frying pan to 150-160°C and deep fry the parcel for 15-17 minutes. Remove from oil, drain and cut evenly into 4 portions.
- Serve with kumquat oil and/or sweet BBQ sauce.