Fatty melt with roasted tomato and caramelized onion
Serves 2 Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
11⁄2 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
3 small gherkins, finely diced, plus extra
4 tbsp caramelised onions
3 round brioche burger buns
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 minced beef patties (approximately 150g each, preferably a mix of 70% chuck and 30% flank)
sea salt flakes and cracked black pepper, to season
300g Emmenthal cheese, grated
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, garlic, gherkins and caramelised onions to make your own special sauce.
- Remove 1⁄3 of bread from the centre of each brioche bun, leaving 3 one-inch thick discs of brioche.
- In a non-stick pan on medium heat, melt 1 tbsp of butter and brown each disc of brioche on both sides, adding more butter if needed.
- In another non-stick pan on high heat, combine 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil. As soon as the oil-butter mixture starts to foam, press your patties into circles slightly larger than the size of your brioche buns. The patties will shrink while cooking. Season patties on both sides with salt and pepper as you sear them. Aim for dark brown crusts with a slightly pink interior, approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes.
- As your patties cook, use a serrated bread knife to cut each disc of brioche into half, resulting in a total of 6 thin circles of brioche. Fill each brioche pair with grated Emmenthal cheese, and brown on both sides with 1 tbsp of butter in a pan on medium-low heat, until golden brown on both sides and cheese is molten.
- Assemble fatty melt in a brioche-patty- brioche-patty-brioche configuration, adding your secret sauce and extra gherkins on each patty.
roasted tomato and caramelised onion soup
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
2 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 cups water
300g tinned peeled tomatoes
3⁄4 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine cherry tomatoes, onions, garlic and cooking oil. Season liberally.
- Transfer mixture to a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes in a preheated fan-oven at 180°C. Aim for dark brown colours but not complete charring.
- When colour has developed on onions and cherry tomatoes, combine with thyme, water and peeled tomatoes in a pot over medium heat. Bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove thyme. Carefully transfer mixture to jug blender and blitz till fine. Return to pot, bring to boil and season.
- Finish the soup by stirring cream through and drizzling the surface with olive oil. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.