Abura shimo (sashimi with grilled head)
Served half sashimi, half grilled, this dish doubles your enjoyment of the botan ebi.
Serve 2 Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
4 botan ebi
1.5 litres vegetable oil, for deep-frying
3 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp wasabi
1 tsp daikon radish, grated
1 sprig Japanese basil leaves and flowers (available at Japanese supermarkets)
juice from ½ lime or lemon
• Remove prawn’s head and thread a bamboo skewer through. Leave body shell intact.
• Quickly grill the head for about 6 to 7 minutes over an open flame, or in an oven.
• Skewer the body, and deep-fry in oil for about 30 seconds.
• Remove and dip into a bowl of water filled with ice-cubes for another 30 seconds.
• Remove shell from prawn, but retain the tail.
• Plate and serve with grilled head.