Deep-fried brown rice finger sticks with sambal-apple mayonnaise
Brown rice beehoon is not for everyone but when you turn it into delectable ‘fish fingers’ like these, even the kids will love you. Served it with a sambal flavoured dip and your guests might cajole you for the recipe after that.
Serves 6-8 Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
10g dried shrimps, roughly chopped
10g Chinese mushrooms, soaked & roughly chopped
10g Chinese sausages, roughly chopped
10g kailan stems, roughly chopped
500ml seafood stock
300g brown rice stick beehoon
2 tbsp cornflour
pinch salt & pepper
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 pot peanut oil for deep frying
4 whole eggs
½ cup sambal
½ cup Japanese sweet mayonnaise
½ cup green apples, peeled and cubed
• Add olive oil to a heated wok and stir-fry the dried shrimps, Chinese mushrooms, Chinese sausages and kailan stems over medium fire till fragrant
• Add seafood stock and bring to boil until it bubbles
• Add brown rice stick beehoon and simmer over low heat until rice stick is al-dente, taking care to constantly stir to mix all the ingredients evenly.
• Turn off the fire and add cornstarch mixture.
• Scoop up the rice sticks and place them onto a baking tray. Let cool, then set the tray in the fridge for 2 hours to thicken the beehoon, till it hardens as a block.
• Remove rice stick block from tray. Slice into 8cm x 2cm pieces.
• Coat rice stick fingers with flour then eggs and lastly with breadcrumbs.
• Heat up the wok with 1 pot of peanut oil. When the oil is bubbling, slide the rick stick fingers into the wok, 4 pieces at a time. Deep-fry at 180°C or until they turn a nice golden brown colour.
• Mix the sambal, mayonnaise and apple cubes together as a dip. Serve rice stick fingers with the dip.