Baby lamb salad with grilled fennel
Serves 4 Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 8 to 10 minutes
2 baby lamb racks, trimmed and bone removed
2 fennel bulbs, sliced
2 blood oranges, peeled and segmented
Juice of 2 limes
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp each, tarragon, chives and chervil
2 tbsp Le blanc pistachio nut oil (available at Culina)
½ cup pistachio nuts, crushed
• Sear the lamb quickly in a pan on both sides.
• Roast in an oven at 160°C for 10 minutes. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
• Grill fennel slices on the barbeque.
• In a bowl, toss fennel with blood oranges, lime juice, extra virgin olive oil and herbs.
• Slice lamb thinly.
• To present, arrange the fennel salad on a plate. Place lamb slices on the salad. Drizzle pistachio nut oil and top with pistachio nuts.
Millar says “Liquorice-tasting fennel acquires a sweetness when cooked, and pairing it with sour vinaigrette makes this an unforgettable tasting salad.”