Stack these profiteroles into a pyramid shape or display them on a two-tier cake stand to make a luscious statement.
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 75 minutes
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp sugar
120g unsalted butter
4 egg, beaten
2 cups heavy whipped cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Sieve flour into a whisking bowl. Add sugar, salt and mix well.
- Add water and butter into a saucepan to simmer and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, turn off the heat. Once it has cooled, add the flour mixture, stirring constantly to prevent the mixture from burning.
- When a dough ball is formed, transfer to a mixer and let it run until the dough is cooled to approximately 35˚C.
- Add eggs and mix into choux pastry mixture until smooth.
- Pipe or spoon a small ball of 2cm in diameter, 1cm in height onto a silicon baking mat and bake in a preheated oven of 200˚C for 12 minutes. Reduce to 175˚C and further bake for approximately 25 minutes or until it turns dry.
- Let the shells cool for 20 minutes, keeping the oven door open.
- Combine the whipping cream and vanilla extract and pipe the filling into cooled puffs.
Excerpt from the December issue of epicure.