Serves 4 Prep time 15 minutes + 45 days to marinate kimchi
Cook time 20 minutes
420g minced pork
70g pork fat
1 tbsp mayonnaise
2 slices streaky bacon, fried till crisp
25g plus 8 tbsp white onions, diced and lightly fried with butter to soften
½ cup plus 8 tbsp kimchi, chopped to small bits
pinch salt and freshly cracked pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
8 raisin buns, lightly brushed with butter and toasted
- Combine the ingredients of pork mixture and mix well, but reserve the 8 tbsp of white onions and kimchi. Mould and knead the pork into round shaped patties of 3cm thickness. Lightly season the pork patties.
- Heat up a nonstick pan with olive oil and quick fry the patties for 1 minute on each side to brown the meat. Turn off heat and rest the patties in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Layer bottom halves of the buns onto a plate, and then top with 1 tbsp of kimchi and onions, and the patties. Place them near the hot grill in an oven and grill till meat is cooked.
- Top with the remaining bun halves and serve.
TO MAKE YOUR OWN KIMCHI:
1 Chinese cabbage
1¼ cups water
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp opossum shrimp (available at MeidiYa supermarket)
2 tbsp anchovy sauce
2 bunch chives
150g green onions, finely chopped
50g grated ginger root
2 cloves garlic, crushed
100g chilli pepper, grounded
- Cut cabbage into quarters. Sprinkle salt between leaves. Place a heavyweight item on the cabbage and keep in the fridge for two to three days.
- Rinse the cabbage with water and lightly squeeze it.
- Mix marinade A ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Simmer over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, and then set aside to cool.
- Combine the two marinades together and spread the mixture between the cabbage leaves. Remember to use gloves to prevent irritation caused by the red hot chilli pepper.
- Fold each section together into a rectangular container. Cover with plastic cling wrap and keep in fridge for a minimum of 45 days.
Jack Rose Cocktail
10ml fresh lime juice
15ml plain sugar syrup
5 rose petals
- Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend.
- Pour ingredients into a shaker, add crushed ice and shake.
- Pour into a rock glass, garnish with rose petals and serve.